Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"The Sound of Music" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (March, 1965)

Dad's Take:

I remember when I was very small, going with my parents to see this movie at the drive-in, probably in Oakland. Even as a tyke, the movie held my interest. Long after mom and dad told us to go to sleep in the back seat, I still watched the movie. I'm sure I watched it at least to the point where little Nazi Rolf threatens the family in the convent and then chickens out. I remember feeling afraid. My mom had this record, and it became part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

Later, when I lived in Austria, not far from the area where the movie was made, I remember American tourists wanting to find the sights and sounds from the movie. They were less interested in tracking down anything having to do with the real Von Trapp family (and a good thing too, because learning the actual history of the family spoils the illusions of this highly inaccurate story). They wanted to find places they saw in the movie. They wanted to hear Austrians singing that old-time Austrian folksong, "Edelweiss," which is not an Austrian folksong at all but rather a song written for the musical by a couple of New Yorkers.

This is one of the most beloved musicals of all time, and was a huge sensation when it hit the screen. Its popularity continues to this day. Many of the songs have become classics, like "Maria," "Sixteen Going on Seventeen," "My Favorite Things," "So Long, Farewell," "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," "Do-Re-Mi," and, yes, "Edelweiss." The soundtrack is like a greatest hits album. No matter whether you know the musical very well or not (and who doesn't?), you know the songs.

The album is not without it's clunky moments. Like the movie, the songs often slip into sappy sentimentality. And I cringe every time I hear the party goers sing "Goodbye" in unison at the end of "So Long, Farewell." I'm also not a big fan of the Reverend Mother's voice on "Climb Ev'ry Mountain."

But overall, this is a solid soundtrack. I've already mentioned many of the popular songs. I've always been a bit of a sucker for "The Lonely Goatherd," even if it really makes very little sense in the context of the story. And, sure, I'll admit it, I've never quite lost my boyhood crush on Liesl, the oldest daughter.

There was a time in my life when I loved this soundtrack more than I do now. It has suffered from over-exposure. But it's a classic, and it's fun to dig out every once in a while.

Brad's Take:


I don't think I have seen this movie more than twice in my whole life so I'm not very familiar with these songs, aside from the total classics like the title track, "Sixteen Going On Seventeen," "My Favorite Things," "Do-Re-Mi," So Long, Farewell"...Wait... I am naming almost half the soundtrack! I forgot that this soundtrack contained so many classics. Although I can't remember the last time I watched the movie, I hear a lot of these songs quite a bit from time to time.

There are so many great songs on here. I was anxious to get to "The Lonely Goatherd" because my dad said it was his favorite, and the title didn't sound familiar to me. Right when the song started though, I instantly recognized it. It's such a fun little song. I even caught myself yodelay'ing along with Maria and the children. Speaking of Maria, whether she's telling us her favorite things or just yodeling, Julie Andrews rules. She has a great voice and an even greater personality. She lets both qualities shine equally throughout the entire soundtrack. I like her.

My dad said it best. This album is like a soundtrack of greatest hits.  All of the songs on this album are just straight up fun to listen to. Soundtracks aren't typically my favorite kind of albums to listen to, but listening to this was a good time!

Some of "my favorite things" about this soundtrack are a couple punk rock covers that I've listened to far more often than the originals. "My Favorite Things" by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes is probably my favorite, but The Vandals did a fun version of "So Long, Farewell" off of an album that my dad and I mutually enjoy, Hitler Bad, Vandals Good.

No comments: