Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Folk Singer" by Muddy Waters (April, 1964)


Brad's Take:


Now this is folk music I can get behind! Although I'd give it the "blues" title before I called it folk, it was deemed as "folk" because of it being stripped down and acoustic.

This is the first time I've ever really given Muddy Waters a real solid listen, and I have to say, I am loving it! His soulful, powerful, low voice is so awesome. His voice just rumbles from your speakers while he and the great Buddy Guy jam delicate but intricate acoustic guitar phrases back and forth to a snails drum beat.

I only got halfway through the second song before I told myself that I loved this album. Every song is soooo good! I feel like I'm watching Muddy and Buddy play together in a tiny little coffee shop where all they have enough room for is their acoustic guitars.

I don't think I can say enough good things about this album. It's totally hitting the spot for me right now. If you want mellow, acoustic, powerful blues music, pick this up right now. But be warned: You won't be able to put it down.

Dad's Take:

This is to folk music what the Ray Charles album we reviewed earlier is to country, only unlike Ray, who gave his soulful sound to country classics, Waters is playing straight-up blues, the way it had been played in the old days. All I can think is that a record company exec thought they needed a title that would cash in on the folk craze, maybe because of the crossover succes Ray Charles had enjoyed with his record. No matter what the title claims, this is a blues classic. It's a beautiful thing.

One thing about these old-school blues guys: they could deliver powerful songs without the pyrotechnics of electronic instruments, effects, and amps that go up to 11. Muddy and Buddy and the rest of their supergroup (Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Willie Dixon, and Clifton James on one record? Really?) performing under Muddy's name deliver powerful blues moments in every song.

As the boy said in his take, this is a great album that can't be put down. When it's over, you'll want to go back and start it again.

No comments: