Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"A Christmas Gift For You" from Phil Spector (November, 1963)



Brad's Take:


It's only a few days into the new year, but I guess it's a good time to listen to a Christmas album again, right?

Basically, Phil Spector's own record label, Philles Records, released this compilation of Christmas songs performed by groups on the label at the time: The Crystals, The Ronettes, Darlene Love, and Bob B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans.

This is an album that I am pretty familiar with. It's been playing around Christmas time in the Rhoades household for many years. Phil Spector was a great producer when it came to doo-wop styled pop acts. I've always had a sweet spot for these types of groups.

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys has said that this is his favorite album of all time. I think I would like this album a lot more if it didn't have so many mega cheesy songs on it, such as "Frosty the Snowman", "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." However, I love The Crystals' version of the latter. It totally sounds like what Christmas should sound like. I wish it had songs like "The First Noel" and "Baby It's Cold Outside." I think those songs would have been great additions to this release.

Aside from a few ill song choices, I love this album. It's one that I try to listen to at least once every Christmas season. It's really fun, classy, and upbeat. You can't help but smile when listening to this. Unless you're the Grinch.

Dad's Take:

It's easy to argue that this is the finest rock and roll Christmas album ever. The Phil Spector approach, with his sleigh bells and castanets and other wall of sound elements lends itself perfectly to a Christmas album. Best of all, maybe, is that the Christmas album isn't much of a departure from the usual Spector sound, so this thing sounds good all year round.

If anything hurts this record, it's how loved it is. As a result, it's overplayed. It's hard to find a Christmas movie that doesn't include at least one song from this record. That tends to make a classic record sound a little more cheesy.

But the happy fact is, song after song benefits from a full production and some brilliant vocal work. There are a few Christmas albums that got more play in my house, car, and office this past season, but that doesn't mean I like this one any less. This is as good as rock and roll Christmas music gets. I'm sure ol' Saint Nick blasts this one on his sleigh stereo system as he speeds through the skies. It's upbeat and is perfect for setting the pace he has to work at.

No comments: